Michael E. Milne, Founder
Michael E. Milne is the founder of the Milne Law Group, P.A. located in Orlando, Florida. Mr. Milne is well versed in handling complex multi-party litigation, including construction defect claims for water intrusion and other damages. He also has vast experience in handling claims for delays, professional design errors and omissions, and contract disputes. He has represented all tiers of the construction industry, including owners, general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and material suppliers.
Mr. Milne has significant experience with issues involving building envelope, lien law, architectural design and engineering. He has co-lectured seminars on lien law and performance and payment bonds. Mr. Milne also has extensive experience in contract review and drafting for general contractors and subcontractors.
Mr. Milne is board certified in construction law by the Florida Bar. He has worked with several different insurance companies and understands the intricacies of insurance defense. He has represented wide range of companies including small subcontractor companies to large general contractors and design professionals with general counsel.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida, Board Member
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange Economic Development Commission, Orange and Orlando Teams
- American Bar Association
- Associates Counsel of Association of General Contractors, Subcommittee for Green Buildings
- Leadership Orlando, Class 76
- The Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida
PUBLISHED ARTICLES & BOOKS
- “Substantial Amendment to Chapter 558 – Construction Defects: Amendment Affects All Contracts Executed After October 1, 2009,” Alert – January 12, 2010, Construction
- “Florida Court Rules on Statute of Limitations for Claims against Subcontractors under Performance Bonds,” Alert – June 12, 2009, Construction
- “Practical Considerations to Recovery for Damages Caused by Latent Construction Defects,” 2008 Construction Law Institute
Peter J. Kapsales, Associate
Peter J. Kapsales is a construction law associate with the Milne Law Group, P.A. Mr. Kapsales has over three years of experience as an attorney with experience in construction law, civil litigation, trial practice, foreclosures, real property law, contract law, and community association law.
He is originally from New Jersey and is a graduate of Florida International University in Miami, Florida where he received his Bachelor of Arts in International Relations in 2005. Prior to law school, Mr. Kapsales had five years of banking experience with Commerce Bank, N.A. (now TD Bank, N.A.) and was a Certified Consumer Lender.
In 2011, he received his Juris Doctorate from the College of Law at Florida A&M University in Orlando, Florida. While in law school he was a Certified Legal Intern and participated in the University’s Housing Clinic. Mr. Kapsales is currently enrolled in the Real Property Development, LL.M program at the University of Miami School of Law.
- Florida Bar, 2011
- U.S District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2011
- District of Columbia Bar, 2013
- University of Miami, Miami, Florida (LL.M., Current)
- Florida A&M University, Orlando, Florida (J.D., 2011)
- Florida International University, Miami, Florida (B.A., 2005)
Derek A. Conn, Associate
Derek A. Conn is an associate with the Milne Law Group, P.A. specializing in construction law. Mr. Conn has over three years of experience as an attorney, with an education and background in litigation and trial advocacy. This includes the areas of civil, criminal, and family law, and individual’s liberties and rights.
Derek was born and raised in Lake County, Florida. He moved to Orlando to complete his Bachelors of Science Degree in Legal Studies, with a minor in Criminal Justice, at the University of Central Florida (UCF). He also achieved Specialization Certificates in Criminal Law & Individual Liberties and Litigation & Trial Advocacy from UCF’s College of Health and Public Affairs, Department of Criminal Justice & Legal Studies. He received his Juris Doctorate from Florida A&M University (FAMU) College of Law (Orlando, Florida) in 2013.
While in law school, Derek participated in many extracurricular activities, including being elected Vice President of the Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Legal Society (EASLS), and being a member of the Hispanic American Law Students Association (HALSA). He also helped organize EASLS’ 2012 Symposium in Hollywood, California. He orchestrated a school-funded educational venture to the American Bar Association’s Entertainment and Sports Industries’ 2012 Forum in Las Vegas, Nevada, and helped supervise and administer the EASLS’ 2013 Symposium, with CLE Accreditation during the final semester of his third year of law school.
Derek’s personal hobbies include reading, writing, working out, traveling, and spending time with his two young nephews, one-year old niece, and close family and friends. Derek’s law practice at the Milne Law Group, P.A. focuses on complex multi-party commercial and construction litigation.
EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIPS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Member of the Florida Bar
- Member of the Orange County Bar Association
- Florida A&M University, College of Law, Orlando, Florida (J.D., 2013)
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida (B.S., 2009)
- Lake-Sumter State College, Leesburg, Florida (A.A., 2005)
Ried J. Arnold, Associate
Ried J. Arnold is a construction law associate with the Milne Law Group, P.A. Mr. Arnold has over ten years of experience as an attorney with experience in construction law, civil litigation, automobile dealership law and employment law. He has focused exclusively on complex construction defect litigation for the last seven years of practice and has represented virtually every trade from general contractors to landscapers. Mr. Arnold has resolved over 13 cases within the last year and a half with no payment on behalf of his clients.
He is originally from Minnesota and attended the University of Minnesota, Morris from which he obtained his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 2003. Mr. Arnold received his Juris Doctorate from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio in 2006.
- Florida Bar, 2007
- U.S District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2009
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio (J.D., 2006)
- University of Minnesota, Morris, Minnesota (B.A., 2003)